Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Developmental Pediatrician

I have decided that Katie should see a developmental pediatrician so that I can get there input. The problem now is getting an appointment and getting insurance to pay for it. We tried a doctor at Hershey Medical center and they are only excepting new patients that have autism. We also tried a hospital that is about 2 hrs away (I can't remember the name of it) and they have a 2 year waiting list which we were put on and we also got an appointment with a doctor in york for march. This doctor is going to see us before then for a 1hr appointment and the march appointment is for 4 hours of testing but we are not sure if insurance with pay for this and it is around $1,000. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that they do. I would like to see the developmental pediatrician so that maybe by now they can tell me if they think she is mildly or severely the r word. I don't know why I can't bring myself to type it but I just can't. I know that everyone with downs has some form of it but I just don't see her that way. Maybe it is because people don't really understand what it means and look at it as something awful. One day maybe I will be able to say it.

1 comment:

Heather said...

It is hard so say, and hard to accept.
We saw the dev.Ped at CHOP over the summer. She didn't really tell me anything I didn't know, but did give me hope. She gave some suggestions as to how to teach Caleb. If you have never had her to one, I would do it just so you have an understanding of what she is or is not capable of.

She loved opening the presents!

She loved opening the presents!

She got a guitar so she can play music with Daddy!!

She got a guitar so she can play music with Daddy!!

Her new sleeping bag!!

Her new sleeping bag!!

Katie and her singing dog!!

Katie and her singing dog!!