Thursday, November 13, 2008

Speech

Katie's biggest delay is in speech. We think that this is due to her having a trach for the first 3 years of her life. She does say a few words like, mommy, ma, daddy, ready, sorry, eat, pop pop, mom mom and a couple others. She will sign some too. She is very smart but I don't think people realize this because of her speech delay. I worry because speech is the biggest part of life.

I see other children with down syndrome and they are talking and I think why can't she do it but I know I shouldn't compare but it is hard not too.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Laura, I am glad you started a blog! I started one for Caleb over a year ago and have connected with a lot of great Williams Syndrome mommies.
Hey, It is very hard to not compare kids. I think even 'regular' kids are compared. It is a natural thing to do. I feel bad when I start to go there. I try to focus on the positive most of the time. I really try to just compare Caleb to himself and that helps me realize all he's accomplished.
I am sending you an invite to my blog. It is private... I'm weird that way :)
Heather

Heather said...

btw, She is getting so big.. .and still beautiful as ever. Give her a kiss from Miss Heather. She probably doesn't even remember me. It's been soooo long.

She loved opening the presents!

She loved opening the presents!

She got a guitar so she can play music with Daddy!!

She got a guitar so she can play music with Daddy!!

Her new sleeping bag!!

Her new sleeping bag!!

Katie and her singing dog!!

Katie and her singing dog!!