Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cheerleading

So after watching my nieces cheerleading competition I got to thinking about how great it would be if Katie could do something like that. So began the search for a special needs cheerleading team. Well I found one in Baltimore, MD which would take me an hour to get too. So then I remembered that I new someone who also had a daughter with downs that had talked about a squad before, so I emailed her. Well she did in fact start a squad that had 8 girls on it ranging in age from 5 -18 who all had special needs.

We went out Sunday to check it out but practice was cancelled so we will have to go back this Sunday. Katie did see some other girls practicing and really wanted to join them. It sounds like this might be something that she really like. The other mother told me that they have two coaches and each girl has a buddy (older cheerleader) with them and that they will even be able to go to competition.

When I left I was excited and a little depressed. The reason for this is I know I am not supposed to compare Katie to other kids but I can' t help compare her to other kids with downs. The other two girls that were there were around 9 years old and both were verbal. Well as everyone know Katie is only a little verbal, not that she doesn't try. I kept telling my self that maybe Katie will talk like that when she is there age (which is 2-3 years from now). I am convinced that she will indeed talk one day but I still worry about it.

Anyway I will let everyone know how practice goes on Sunday!

1 comment:

Heather said...

And maybe cheering is just the thing to coax her voice out of her!!!!!
I'm so glad you found a special needs squad. Awesome!

She loved opening the presents!

She loved opening the presents!

She got a guitar so she can play music with Daddy!!

She got a guitar so she can play music with Daddy!!

Her new sleeping bag!!

Her new sleeping bag!!

Katie and her singing dog!!

Katie and her singing dog!!